Friday, October 30, 2015

What If?

"Mommy, I don't think I can do it."
Do what, baby?
"Tomorrow...the poke..."
I got down on my knees and took her in my arms and told her she was going to do just fine. I reminded her that she went the day before for labs and they accessed her port without her even crying.
"But tomorrow they put me to sleep, and give me medicine, I just don't think I can do it again!"
You CAN do it, you'll be strong, just like yesterday, and daddy & I will be there with you.
"But what if I can't? ... how do you know I can do it?"
Mommy's know lots of things, baby. I know you'll be brave, because that's how God made you. And Daddy & I will be brave with you.

She was brave. She hates the procedure room, the bed, the masked people coming in to hurt her, the pain in her bones, the nausea, the yucky taste in her mouth.  She cried big brave tears. Warriors sometimes do.

Living up to our promise to be brave with her, is by far, the hardest thing we've ever been entrusted to do. We hold tight to God's promises,  and it's OK if we're sometimes less than brave in our own eyes, He's strong enough to carry us all.

 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11



1 comment:

  1. HE is and you are an amazing mother and person. Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete